Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ubuntu = Cool

I first used Linux back in 94' when I installed RedHat on my AT&T 486. Later, I installed RedHat 6-8 on my HP P3 700Mhz and ran with it for about 3 years. I went to work for a Microsoft only shop and have been using XP for the last couple of years. Psst. Don't tell my boss, but I've got a Knoppix live CD that I use from time to time to fix these awful XP boxes. Anyway, I installed Ubuntu on my Dell D600 over the weekend and am loving every bit of it.

Ubuntu is very nice. Installation was simple enough. The only real problem I had was with the Broadcom wireless adapter. I tried ndiswrapper and it didn't work. To get around it I slapped in my old trustworthy Linksys card. Earth to Broadcom...open up your firmware to Linux.

I'm not going to say anything stupid like, "The Linux desktop has finally arrived." I think that Bluecurve on the RedHat 8/9 was very good. I will say that all of the nonsense surrounding the desktop needs to stop. Ubuntu is better than XP...about the same as Mac. It is easy to install and use. It makes better use of the hardware. Daddy likes!

No comments: